Dal fry recipe is a simple lentil based soup which is served with plain rice or jeera rice. Dal fry is most popular Indian dal or lentil recipe. Dal fry is prepared with cooked toor dal by infusing the flavours of onion, tomato and other Indian spices.
- 200 g – tur dal
- 2 medium sized Onions (finely chopped)
- 1 big Tomato (finely chopped)
- 3 Green chillies
- 2 to 3 cups – water
- 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp – Ghee
- 1 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 6 to 8 flakes Garlic (coarsely crushed)
- 1.5 tsp – Red Chilli powder
- finely chopped Coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- Pick, wash and soak the tur dal for 30 minutes.
- Pressure cook the dal with 4 cups water, turmeric powder and salt to taste till tender. (It should be done in 3 to 4 whistles).
- The dal should be soft but whole. Now heat ghee in a small kadai.
- Add cumin seeds, when the seeds splutter, add garlic and green chillies and finally add asafoetida.
- Fry for a minute and add the finely chopped onions.
- Saute on a low flame till the onions are pink in colour.
- Add very finely chopped tomato and saute on a low flame till the tomatoes are little soft.
- Add red chilli powder and fry for a few seconds.
- Add this seasoning to the kept aside cooked tur dal and mix well.
- Cook further if the dal is little watery as this dal fry is supposed to be little thick in consistency.
- Serve hot garnished with finely chopped coriander leaves.